National Institute for Basic Biology (NIBB) invites applications from candidates for an associate or an assistant professorship at the AI facility of Trans-Scale Biology Center. Since being established, NIBB has been conducting research activities as a center for basic biology in Japan. To understand biological phenomena across various levels from genes to molecules, organelles, cells, tissues, organs, organisms, and populations, Trans-Scale Biology Center (TSBC) was established in NIBB. A new facility for artificial intelligence (AI) was also established at TSBC to introduce AI technology for the understanding of biological phenomena. We seek candidates who can explore a new field in biological sciences with an innovative AI technology, and can advance the basic biology by collaborating with members of NIBB.
For detailed information about NIBB, please refer to our web page.
Project associate or assistant professor (1 qualified person) at the AI facility of Trans-Scale Biology Center
2. Major duties
(1) To promote collaboration in Trans-Scale Biology using AI technology.
(2) To share NIBB’s roles as a national research center for basic biology and as an inter-university research institute.
3. For project associate/assistant professor, the term of appointment is five years with renewal possible depending on an evaluation. The total period of employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of appointment (in accordance with the institutional regulations).
4. The candidate should be fluent in either Japanese or English.
5. Applications should be received by August 1st, 2022, after which the review of applicants will begin.
6. The successful candidate can start work in NIBB as soon as their circumstances allow. On or at the earliest possible date after November 1st, 2022
7. Required documents
(1) Curriculum vitae including your account of GitHub or other git hosting services.
(2) Brief summary of current research (about 800 words).
(3) Brief summary of research and collaboration plan if appointed to this institute (about 800 words). Please state how you implement AI technology for biological research and how this will contribute to the advancement of basic biology. Please indicate at the beginning whether you are applying for a project associate professorship or a project assistant professorship. Application for both is also acceptable.
(4) List of publications (should be separated into peer-reviewed original papers, peer-reviewed conferences, reviews, books, preprints, lectures, academic activities, grant acquisitions, patents, etc.).
(5) Please also list three scientists (name, affiliation, address, e-mail address, and phone number) who can scientifically evaluate your work.
(6) Files of five selected papers.
8. Mail or Inquiries
All documents should be converted to a single PDF file and sent by the file transfer system provided by NIBB. We will notify you of detailed submission procedures via e-mail upon your request. Please contact to Personnel Affairs Section, General Affairs Division, Okazaki Administration Office by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line should be “NIBB AI facility”.
(1) Personnel Affairs Section, General Affairs Division
Okazaki Administration Office
National Institutes of Natural Sciences
38 Nishigonaka, Myodaijicho
(2) Inquiries may be directed to
Professor, Director of Trans-Scale Biology Center
National Institute for Basic Biology
5-1 Higashiyama Myodaijicho
(1) NIBB observes the Equal Employment Opportunity Law and is dedicated to the promotion of gender equality.
Please refer to the web page: http://www.nibb.ac.jp/en/about/equality.html
(2) In order to provide a comfortable working environment for researchers, NIBB has established a wide variety of support systems, such as an academic assistance program for the duration of pregnancy and child care, a day-care center available on campus, a support system for the cost required for temporary childcare, and a business trip system which can accommodate accompanying family members. Consideration is given to occasions when researchers were not able to perform research due to maternity leave, leave necessitated by the care of elderly relatives or child care. For detail, please refer to the following website;
(3) Salaries (basic salary relationships, various allowances relationships) shall be as set forth in the “National Institutes of Natural Sciences, an Inter-University Research Institute Corporation, Employee Remuneration Rules.” If hired as a project associate/ assistant professor, the annual salary system will be applied.
(4) Individual information which is collected during the application process shall be managed on the basis of the Act on the Protection of Personal Information and NINS regulations, and will only be used for the purposes of selection and employment. Your application will be handled on the assumption that you agree to our policies concerning the handling of personal information.
Click here for PDF.