National Institute for Basic Biology (NIBB), National Institutes of Natural Science (NINS)
Assistant Professor Position in the Laboratory of Evolutionary Genomics
1. Department/Posting Location:
Laboratory of Evolutionary Genomics
Number of Openings Available:
2. Job Description:
The Laboratory of Evolutionary Genomics (Prof. Shigenobu Shuji) researches mechanisms and the evolution of symbioses using a genomics approach. Currently, our research focuses on intracellular symbiosis in insect aphids, and is characterized by the integration of bioinformatics and experimental biology. We aim to understand symbioses at the molecular and genomic levels by adopting a variety of methods, including cutting-edge next-generation sequencing, genome editing, biochemistry, bioimaging and structural biology.
Our laboratory is looking for an assistant professor who is enthusiastic to work with Prof. Shigenobu on the projects described above. Applicants should have a strong background with a proven track record in related fields and be willing to be involved in graduate education that includes the training of international students. As NIBB is an inter-university research institute, a positive attitude towards interacting with researchers from a wide range of fields and organizations is also expected.
3. Required Qualifications:
Applicants should possess the following qualifications/characteristics:
(1) A Ph.D. degree
(2) A passionate and responsible personality that can tackle the research outlined above.
4. Term of appointment:
A period of five (5) years with the possibility of renewal *1
*1 The contract renewal process is contingent upon the employment regulations for fixed-term employees at the National Institute for Basic Biology.
5. Renumeration and Conditions of Employment:
(1) Salary: Salary and allowance are contingent upon the articles concerning payment within the NINS employment regulations.
(2) Working Conditions: Full time as set forth in the NINS’s employment regulations (Discretionary labor system applies).
(3) Place of Employment: The Myodaiji Area of the National Institute for Basic Biology at the National Institute for National Sciences (Nishigonaka 38, Myodaiji, Okazaki 444-8585 Aichi, Japan).
(4) Insurance etc.:
・The Mutual Aid Association System contributes to the stability of the lives of its members and their families via the provision of mutual aid, to the improvement in their welfare, and to the efficient execution of job duties.
・Work place injury insurance
6. Date employment commences:
Post January 1, 2022 (When the successful candidate commences their new position can be negotiated).
7. Application Deadline:
September 30, 2021 (Applications received after this time will not be accepted.)
8. How to Apply:
The following documents should be sent via email. (Be sure that attached files do not exceed 10MB in size)
(1) A CV consisting of Email address and a facial photo in no specified format
(2) A list of publications (original papers, obtained sponsored research funding, additional information such as publications, software types developed and patents etc.). Please collect 5 representative papers in pdf format
(3) A brief summary of research history and a statement of intent (no more than 2 pages of A4 paper)
(4) A document outlining the reason the application was submitted (within 1 page of A4 paper)
(5) Two contacts who can act as referees
9. Where to Send your Documents/Contact Information:
Prof. SHIGENOBU, Shuji
Laboratory of Evolutionary Genomics,
National Institute for Basic Biology (NIBB),
National Institutes of Natural Science (NINS),
Nishigonaka 38, Myodaiji, Okazaki, Aichi, 444-8585, Japan
10. Additional Information:
(1) Our laboratory places a high value on gender and racial diversity.
(2) We also aspire to promote of gender equality.
 NIBB fully complies with the Equal Employment Opportunity Law of Japan, and continually puts strives to promote gender equality throughout all aspects of our work.
 NIBB gives hiring priority to women when they are recognized as being equivalent to other applicants when conducting evaluations of past performance.
 Consideration is given to occasions when researchers were not able to perform research due to maternity leave, leave necessitated by the care of elderly relatives or child care.
(3) Individual information which is collected during the application process shall be managed on the basis of the Act on the Protection of Personal Information and NINS regulations, and will only be used for the purposes of selection and employment. Your application will be handled on the assumption that you agree to our policies concerning the handling of personal information.
(4) URL References:
National Institute for Basic Biology: https://www.nibb.ac.jp/en/
Laboratory of Evolutionary Genomics: http://www.shigenobulab.org
Click here for PDF.