Course Number 20DBB004
School of Life Science
Department of Basic Biology
Recommended Grade 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
1 credit 2nd semester
TAKADA Shinji UENO Naoto FUJIMORI Toshihiko KODAMA Ryuji
KINOSHITA Noriyuki KAWADE Kensuke TAKAHASHI Hiroki
Multicellular organisms such as animals and plants develop from a single cell, a fertilized egg through many rounds of cell division, cell differentiation regulated by complex but precise interactions of tissues, and three-dimensional morphogenesis. In this course, lectures regarding to the formation of body axes, mechanism of cell differentiation, cell movements during development, metabolic regulation, which are all essential processes for the morphogenesis of multicellular organisms. In addition, evolutionary developmental biology (Evo-Devo) aspects of biodiversity are also discussed.
1. To understand the basis of development of animal body, and molecular mechanisms regulating developmental processes.
2. To understand phenomena relating animal development including axis formation, cell differentiation and morphogenesis.
3. To understand the regulatory mechanisms of morphogenesis in early animal embryos.
4. To understand various aspects of tissue interactions observed in organs in later stages of embryonic development.
5. To understand the basis of plant development and metabolic regulation behind it.
Grades will be “A”, “B”, “C”, or “D” determined based on lesson attendance and by the quality of a paper, which must be submitted to the lecturer by the provided deadline. The subject(s) of the paper must be one of the four important aspects presented above in the course objectives.
The paper needs to be readable on MS-Word or PDF reader software, and submitted via e-mail to Shinji Takada (email@example.com) by Dec 27 (Fri), 2019.
1. November 7, 2019 (Yamate)
9:00-12:15 The fundamental developmental biology (Ryuji Kodama)
2. November 7, 2019 (Yamate)
13:30-16:45 Regulation of plant development and metabolism (Kensuke Kawade)
3. November 14, 2019 (Myodaiji)
9:00-10:30 Formation of germ layers and the roles of growth factors (Naoto Ueno )
4. November 14, 2019 (Myodaiji)
10:45-12:15 Evolutionary developmental biology of chordate (Hiroki Takahashi)
5. November 14, 2019 (Myodaiji)
9:00-12:15 Cell biology of morphogenesis during vertebrate development (Noriyuki Kinoshita)
6. November 21, 2019（Yamate）
9:00-12:15 Regulation of cell signaling in the development of vertebrates (Shinji Takada)
7. November 21, 2019（Yamate）
13:30-16:45 Mammalian early development (Toshihiko Fujimori)
1F Seminar Room 1(Rm#132-134), National Institute for Basic Biology (Myodaiji), and Yamate 3rd Bld. 2nd floor, Seminar Room (Yamate)
■Textbooks and references
■Explanatory Note on above URL
cell differentiation, morphogenesis, axis formation, evolution